DESCRIPTION: General Chemical’s COSCOAT 4560 is an optically clear acid resistant, Peelable coating used where an acid resistant protective coating is required. Various applications include battery posts, battery cases and surfaces which need protection from water and/or acids during industrial manufacturing or processing. COSCOAT 4560 air-dries quickly, leaving a tough and flexible coating that is easily removed from a variety of surfaces. COSCOAT 4560 is the ultimate in solvent-based removable coating technology. COSCOAT 4560 is stabilized against brittleness and is not softened or penetrated by water and/or acid. It is optically clear and is non-reactive.
COSCOAT 4560 is also resistant to aliphatic and aromatic solvents.
APPLICATION: COSCOAT 4560 is used as received. It may be applied by roll coating, dipping or brushing. COSCOAT 4560 may also be used in spray applications. In spray applications, reduction with methylisobutylketone, methylethylketone or similar solvents is necessary. COSCOAT 4560 air-dries to the touch in 10 minutes or less, depending on the temperature and film thickness. The cured film of COSCOAT 4560 should be in the range of 1 to 3 mils (.001″ to .003″) thick. Application temperature is important for drying times, best results are ambient to no lower than 50°F.
1. The coating is to be applied on the outer surface, immediately after the container & lid are molded. Material of construction is ABS
2. The component will undergo temperature changes –5°C to +60°C.
3. Some sulfuric acid will also be spilled on the surface
4. The container will remain submerged in water for 24 hrs or more (water temperature 30°C)
5. Components will be subjected to manual handling, smearing by oil grease etc
6. Before dispatch; the coating will be peeled of.
7. A fresh coating might be applied for dispatch, to be remove before use
1. Protective Coating on ABS & PP Battery Containers
(a) Peelable coating.
(b) It should not react with H2SO4 at temp up to 50ºC.
(c) Insoluble in water.
(d) Fast drying.
(e) It should not leave any residue when removed.
(f) Tear resistant.
(g) Preferably clear or translucent.
(h) Spray or paint brush application.
2. Protective Coating on Lead Strip
(a) Peelable tape or coating.
(b) Resistant to H2SO4 & chemicals, at 100ºC, for 24 hrs.
(c) Should not leave any residue when removed.
(d) Fast drying.
Removal: COSCOAT 4560 is easily removed by peeling.
Compatability: COSCOAT 4560 is uniquely formulated without ingredients that are deleterious to painting processes, such as silicones, or to the water wash systems with foam generating compounds or stabilizing ingredients.
1. When applying, use the same personal protection used when applying paint. Ventilation systems should be operating while the material is being sprayed.
2. Chemical goggles, impervious gloves and respirators should be worn when handling COSCOAT 4560.
3. Non-sparking equipment must be used when applying COSCOAT 4560.
First Time Application:
I. Pre-cleaning of Equipment:
1.Flush equipment and lines with a solvent such as methylethylketone.
2. The spray equipment is now ready for use with COSCOAT 4560.
II. Pre-cleaning of Surfaces:
1. Surfaces should be cleaned with a suitable cleaner to remove all previous peelable coatings, oils, dirt and other residues.
2. You are now ready to use COSCOAT 4560.
Notes: COSCOAT 4560 has been tested and found to withstand a 50/50 mixture of water and sulfuric acid @ 100º C for at least 24 hours.
Packaging: Available in 1,5 and 55 gallon and 300 gallon totes container
Note: The information presented herein is our interpretation of certain test results and field experience to date. The information is not to be taken as warranty or representation for which we assume legal responsibility, nor as permission or recommendation to practice any patented invention without a license. It is offered solely for your consideration, investigation and verification.